Saturday, April 4, 2009

Day 050 / 365 - Pupukahi I Holomua *


#050

It was really really hard for me to get up again today!  I woke up so late.  I had to rush to get this website done before I had to get ready to help out at the luau.  I didn't even go and pick up my paycheck.  I got all the updates done though just in time.  It took me about 3 hours or so to get everything done.  The coding on that website is just so messy... it was frustrating.

Anyhow, today was UNC's annual luau event.  Layne asked me a couple of days prior if I wanted to help out and serve food just so that we could watch the show.  The girl upstairs never fails to park behind my car, so I just decided to walk to the UC.  It was so fricken cold and windy!  All I was wearing underneath my jacket was a t-shirt since the "uniform" was a white t-shirt & dark jeans.  Here's a picture of some of us before the festivities (Chad, Jared, Me, Cyndi).

I ended up serving the vegetarian stew.  How ironic... I would never eat that thing.  Lol!  My back was killing me.  My abs (muscles in general!) are so weak that it can't support my back.  Long periods of standing KILL my back.  At least we got free food and saw the show.  It made me miss home so bad :(  I feel like something was missing though.. the atmosphere wasn't like previous years.. the show was also short (though, that was a welcomed change!).  Perhaps I'm just seeing things from a different perspective this time around?  Been there, done that sort of thing?  Nah... something was definitely missing!  

A new addition this year though was the performing of the Haka, pictured above.  I'm not sure if the Haka was ever done in previous years, but it was the first time I saw it in the last 4/5 years.   The boys gave it their all and resonated their energy throughout the room.  I certainly got a kick out of it.  Sad to say, this will probably be the last UNC luau I'll ever see.  It's been a good run.

After the luau, we pre-gamed at Jared's house and hung out for a bit before heading to the after party at the Penalty Box.  Jody drove up from Denver and most of us were feeling good by the time she arrived.  The Box was packed with Hawaii kids.  I got in a good amount of dancing.  Peter finally got there around 12ish.  He got me another vodka cranberry, but I just didn't want to drink anything anymore.  All in all, it was a good night!

No comments: